Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Back to the main purpose of the blog--greening it up, Baby!

Do It Yourself--you'll be glad you did.

 It's been a while since I have posted here. I have been busy with other things, and working on things to post about. :)

I've been crocheting a bunch lately. My family likes to have "couch blankets." When we were still in Bloomington I made almost all the hats and scarves we wore during the cold months, and I gladly crochet dishcloths and washcloths for our daily use.

Why would I do these things, when I could save time and maybe even money (good yarn is not cheap, but SO worth it) by running across the street to Target or Kmart or where ever and just buying a blanket for $20 or 5 washcloths for a dollar? Why? I have good reasons. Very good reasons.

1) So these precious skills are not lost to time. If I HAD to, I want to know that I can have nice things because I can make them, grow them, raise them, etc. People used to make nearly everything for themselves and their neighbors, now we make almost nothing for ourselves.

2) Every stitch is like a directed meditation on the person you care for enough to make the item. Will they like it? Will it be warm enough? Will it be too warm? Every single stitch is an expression of love and care.

3) I like to imagine that the recipient will feel loved, honored and comforted by these labors of love. Even if they don't, though, I have still gained knowledge. I have created something beautiful and nurturing. I have accomplished something worthwhile, and I have enjoyed myself while doing so.

4) The labor involved is also like a directed meditation on material possessions. For instance, I have two throw blankets in my home I bought on sale at the grocery store for $11 each. They are good, cozy blankets. But they are made of synthetic fibers, on the other side of the planet from where I purchased them. Do you know why we can get so many things made of plastic so cheaply? Because, according to most economists, the TRUE cost of production is not captured in the cost that we pay.

We don't pay to clean the environment of the toxic by-products created in manufacturing because of relaxed environmental standards in developing nations. We don't pay for the damage done to the local ecology during the process of extracting the raw materials. We don't pay for the changing weather patterns (yet), we don't pay for the lost human capital (yet), we don't pay for the true cost of discarded waste when that color goes out of fashion and 250,000 consumers redecorate their homes with a "new look for Spring" they saw on the DIY network or HGTV.

Material possessions. We over-value them and under-value them simultaneously. I guarantee you, though, if we all made our own blankets and washcloths and hats and scarves, we'd feel differently about discarding them when the next home fashion trend rolled through town. 

Those crocheted dishcloths are amazing, by the way! They work like a charm, hold up to rough use and go straight in with the laundry. No hassle, no fuss, no chemicals dyes, no sponges to get torn up and thrown away (and that's not even taking into account the germs on those former invertebrate members of the shallow sea life community.) I felt like the last person on Earth to hear about them, but there are literally thousands of free patterns available online.

I have also been crocheting blankets as I said. I have here a few images of the finished products (fair warning--this apartment came furnished and the "color choices" it was decorated with are NOT my usual subdued style--sunglasses may be called for):

This is the first blanket I crocheted, and I made it for myself to use while reading in my recliner. That explains the shape, right? I used Caron Simply Soft yarn, if I recall correctly, and I think the color was "rose garden." It was a joy to make, and I used the same pattern on this one I did for the one I later made for my son...because every time I turned around he was snuggling with "my" blanket and I wanted it back.
I tried to get a good shot of the stitches close up, but my photography skills are truly lacking. You can kind of see the pattern, though.

This one I made for my son, whose favorite color is green. He picked out the yarn in Bloomington and I started it on the long flight over.  I didn't use a pattern, I just had a general shape in mind, and stopped when it was "big enough." I used a very large hook size, and made a very simple double crochet net. (eHow has a tutorial on double crochet and to create the netting effect just skip one chain between dc stitches. On the next pass, dc in the chain1 spaces of the previous row. When  you reach the desired length, finish with a triple crochet edging. Leave a comment if you want more instructions!)  This blanket's been done for weeks now.
This was the next blanket I made. This one was for my husband and I used a red heart free pattern for it. Scott wanted a different yarn for it, and he chose red heart super saver urban camo. I thought the colors looked nice, but it was a hard yarn to find, and frankly, hard to work with. This will be the last time I start a project without at least getting an in-person impression of the yarn. The finished product came our fine, but I would have preferred it to be a little softer. Scott seems happy with it, but I would like to make him something cozier at some point down the line.
 
The next project I worked on was this for my brother. I used a different pattern for his, also a free pattern from red heart, and he DID like the look of the yarn. I am a "tight" crocheter, and always wind up using less yarn than patterns call for. The upside of that is that I can make blankets and things bigger then specified with the same amount of yarn. (I'm just guessing, actually, I'm sure why it happens, but it does. I consistently make the same project using about 3/4 of the yarn called for in the pattern.)
I have fallen in love with Bernat Mosiac yarn, and the next couple of crochet projects I will be working on are Bumble Berry Pie Afghans. I will be making one out of the color "Fantasy" for Ami and one out of "Waterfall" for myself. :) I SO can't wait. Here is the next project in the making:




This charming pink/purple/lavender square is the very first square for Ami's Afghan. It's going to be beyond lovely.

I will be sure to post more pics when I get further along with Ami's, but I might wait until I finish it. I love this yarn so much (it's GORGEOUS) I might be a little bit obsessive about working on it until it gets done.

My next post will be about bread making. I will be posting my recipe for white bread, corn bread and a recipe for very low fat banana bread. I have lots of pics already taken for both, so it shouldn't take too long to for me to get it all typed. Unless, of course, I am obsessively working on something else. After that, I will post tutorials for 2 basic crochet dishcloths.

Take care, and go make something for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In an effort to limit spam/advertisements on my blog, I am now requiring all comments to be approved before they are posted.